});

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Off-Grid Winch: Incredible Power from Two Logs and a Rope

Posted on by Survival Sherpa
by Todd Walker

The power of simple machines, smartly employed, are capable of moving most anything. Over the years I helped my daddy move really heavy stuff in his plumbing/welding business and on our farm. He once moved and installed a new 3,000 gallon metal water tank at our elementary school using only ropes, pulleys, and levers… by himself.
Daddy didn’t possess superhuman strength, he simply understood the power of simple machines.
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
Archimedes
Homemade Winch, Off Grid Winch
Homemade Winch

I first discovered this ingenious flip-flop winch from a YouTube demonstration by Mors Kochanski, the Godfather and author of Bushcraft. A search of flip-flop winches on YT will garner several clips demonstrating the power of using two logs and some rope. So why would I add my video to mix? Because it’s only theory until you put it into action by Doing the Stuff!


The flip-flop winch combines two simple machines, lever and pulley (wheel and axle), as a force multiplier to free vehicles stuck in the mud, safely dislodge hang-ups when felling trees, and/or move heavy rocks. I decided to pull my truck up a slight incline in a field.........Read More From The Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment