});

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

How To Make A Chicken Feeder

This is a gravity feeder I made for my chickens.  Please note that the feeder I built is nothing fancy as I used scrap wood with what I had on hand.  It is made of rough cut lumber and is heavy but the price (free) outweighs the physical weight.  It would look more presentable if it were built out of plywood but hey, the chickens didn't seem to mind.  This feeder design could be built in any size to accommodate the animals such as rabbits, dogs, cats, deer, etc...I had fun with this project and only took me a couple of hours to build.  Enjoy the photos and I hope this may give you some ideas for your feeder project.  If you build one, I would love to see your photos!


           Screw together the sides and back.  Mount to a base for stability:


Add a piece of wood for a slope for the feed to slide out:


Closer view of the sloped piece of wood for the feed slide out:


Build your trough:


Attach the trough to the feeder:


Ready for the front:


Mount the front.  I left about 2 inches at the bottom for plenty of room for the feed to slide out:


Mount the lid with hinges.  I made the lid long as I know the chickens will be on top of the feeder in no time.  The lid is long so their droppings will not drop into the feed trough:


My feeder is roughly 3' high and will hold a 50lb bag of feed: 





No comments:

Post a Comment