});

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Prepping Vs Homesteading



Prepping Vs Homesteading

 I've noticed a shift in our lives since finding a place to grow roots.  For years this has been our dream.  To have a little place in the country where we could pretty much do as we pleased. Grow stuff, raise some critters. Now that we are here and settled in, our focus is naturally on what needs to be done to "build" on the homestead.I'm finding that my thoughts on prepping are finally evolving along with the progress we are making.  It just seems natural to focus more on the homesteading now. My friend MDR (Modern Day Redneck) has had me thinking about this since the first time I heard him talking about it. It's been stuck in my head for awhile now.  Thanks man!

 LOL Why is it that now I feel like I should stand up and introduce myself??   "Hi, my name is Sci and I'm a rookie homesteader". 

There is still so much for me to learn. ( Learning stuff counts as prepping for the future)  For example I need to really learn a bunch more about seed saving this year.  I really didn't focus on this last year. I was to busy learning how the heck I was going to put up a hundred pounds of tomato's along with all the other goodies.  Not that I'm complaining, I'm not. It was a good learning experience actually and next spring will go more smoothly. I've got a brand new propane stove that puts out some serious btu's. (Thanks Mom!) It is a beautiful thing when you can get the canner water boiling in just a few minutes! What a time saver it's going to be!  I've just about got all the makings for a  outdoor canning kitchen.

 You see?  I'm not saying that we don't still prep, but that prepping is a natural part of trying to get our little homestead to work for us. I don't know that we will ever be totally self sufficient but we will do the best we can.  And you know what? That's ok too.  There is always something to do around hereI haven't really been blogging much lately because
a)I figured I'd probably bore you to death and
 b)  Things move more slowly on the homestead than in the big city.
 Especially in the winter. They also tend to repeat themselves every day.  You know, like tending to the chickens, feeding and watering various critters, meals, housework, you know... life....   



P.S. kymber has a great post up over at the Framboise Manor about how she adapted the recipe for One Year of Food Storage Under $300.  Shoot, she did even better on the price too!!  Go check it out, you might pick up a real useful tip or two!

Source: http://baconandeggs-scifichick.blogspot.com/2013/01/prepping-vs-homesteading.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FuTfIB+%28Bacon+and+Eggs%29




Gerber 31-000701 Bear Grylls Survival Series Ultimate Kit
Gerber 31-000751 Bear Grylls Survival Series Ultimate Knife, Serrated Edge
United Cutlery Bush Master Survival Knife
Gerber 31-000699 Bear Grylls Survival Series Fire Starter

No comments:

Post a Comment