});

Thursday, December 29, 2016

How To Tan A Hide Using Several Methods

how to tan a hide example of different animal hides
Tanning Hides

how to tan a hide using several methods
Tanning a Hide


 I read a post recently by a guy that had finished tanning a deer hide for his daughter. He said it was a fairly long ordeal (and he probably wouldn’t ever do it again), but it turned out beautifully and he had a picture to prove it. The hide looked very soft and flexible and hung limp like a blanket over the bed. So thanks to “livbucks” from PA. for providing the initial motivation for me to try my hand at tanning a complete hide.


I like the idea of DIY or as I would say, DIOY (doing-it-your-own-self) and I also like the idea of not wasting the hide and am glad to see that there are many other people that feel the same way. I am encouraged to see so many people on websites and forums that are keeping old skills like how to tan a hide alive. Chances are, if you are reading this, you are a do-it-yourself person too.
I mostly hunt public land with Over-the-Counter tags. I usually hunt by myself, but sometimes my wife goes with me. We butcher, wrap and freeze the meat and make our own sausage, ground meat and patties for burgers.

Tanning Hide DIY
Tanning Hide DIY
Raw mule deer hide from hind quarter.
I occasionally tan the hides from hind quarters of elk or deer that have been packed out because it’s always good to have deer and elk hair on hand for tying flies, but I plan on making a rug or blanket from a whole deer or elk hide.
If I ever draw a limited entry tag, I also plan on making my own European style mount of the skull and antlers.
Before I tackle a whole skin, I need to acquire a few more tools, but I will update this post when I get started.
Read more from the source

No comments:

Post a Comment